Law you can afford

Click Help or call 0345 838 4074

Taxing a vehicle


The way you tax your vehicle for the first time or renew it depends on the documents you have.

You can apply to tax your vehicle:

  • online (England, Wales and Northern Ireland);
  • at the Post Office®; or
  • by phone.
For more information, visit the website, and to see which Post Office branches in Northern Ireland are able to tax your vehicle on renewal or when there is a change of owner, see the nidirect website.

How do I renew my vehicle tax with renewal reminder?

About 3 weeks before your vehicle tax disc expires you should receive a Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) (V11 or V11NI in Northern Ireland) or a Heavy goods vehicle licence application/SORN declaration (V85/1 or V12NI).

You can use this renewal reminder to re-tax the vehicle as long as the date of the vehicle tax, the vehicle details and the taxation class printed on the form are all correct. The application form will tell you what supporting documents you need and about the payment of vehicle tax, if necessary. See the website or the nidirect website for more information.

If you don't receive this renewal reminder, you must either tax the vehicle or, if it is being kept off road, make a SORN.

How do I renew my vehicle tax without a renewal reminder?

If you haven't received a tax renewal reminder form or you don't have one because you've just bought the vehicle, you can still tax your vehicle if you have a registration document (V5 or V5NI), registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI) or a new keeper supplement (V5/2 or V5/2NI, or V5C/2 or V5C/2NI).

The new keeper supplement is valid for 2 months from the date you bought the vehicle for taxing purposes.

You need to apply using form V10 or V10NI (PDF), or in the case of a heavy goods vehicle, the V85 or V12NI (PDF). You should attach the supporting documents and the payment for vehicle tax (if required). For more information, see the website or the nidirect website.

How do I tax my vehicle if I don't have any documentation?

If you've just bought the vehicle and you don't have the appropriate documents, you can't tax your vehicle until you have a registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI) in your name. You can apply for a registration certificate using form V62 or V34NI.

If you're the current registered keeper of the vehicle and you don't have the necessary documents, you might be able to tax it at the DVLA or, for Northern Ireland, the DVLA in Swansea. You should complete form V62 or V34NI (£25 fee applicable), as well as form V10 or V10NI, or V85 or V12NI, and include the payment for vehicle tax and other supporting documents.

If you've changed your name and or address, you'll need to include proof of identity with your application, e.g. a current driving licence, original bank or building society statement, or a recent utility bill. If your name has changed, you can use a marriage certificate, decree nisi, decree absolute or deed poll.

How do I tax a brand new vehicle?

See the section Registering a vehicle for the first time for more information.